Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Crazy Kids











Given our unusual housing situation, it’s been somewhat difficult to meet new people. Typically in a study abroad program, two universities pair up and the students will dorm on campus with local students attending the university. Our program is set up in rural Ireland at some cottages out the back of a hotel. We are only a 20-minute cab ride away from Galway, which is a pretty hopping college town, but that trip can get old and expensive rather quickly. So is there really much of a social life for my 21-year-old college self out back of this hotel? Definitely. Going into our first orientation meetings I was a bit uneasy about the group that I would be traveling with (I’m sure they all would say the same). Previous study abroad students warned me that I would make some lifetime friends while studying overseas, and I have to admit that I didn’t believe them. But boy was I wrong. There’s a group of 17 very different, interesting characters living as my neighbors. I never would have imagined I would grow to be so close to each of them. But when you’re thrown in rural Ireland, and you literally eat, breathe, study, sleep, travel, etc. with these people it’s kind of hard not to fall in love with their craziness. It’s sad to think I only have one month left in Ireland, but I find it even more upsetting that I won’t get to walk out of my cottage every morning to see all of these wonderful people. I know I was previously warned of the friendships I’d make while abroad, but I was definitely not prepared. I truly have made some of the best friends (and only in two short months!), and I know they’re going to remain a big part of my life. We’ve all been through a lot together, and experienced parts of the world together. Nothing can replace that. Much love to all my group members.
Sending my love!
Regan

Ps. Ireland students: prepare yourselves; I’m already planning a reunion trip back to Ireland.





                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment